Last year, a new book had become available for pre-order on Amazon and after seeing Kristi (@initialkstudio), I was so excited to have this book in my collection. I was so ecstatic when I was asked to be part of her blog hop.
The book takes you through a journey in the southwest of the USA, and the influence of this area is seen within the quilts. The book has an amazing layout and beautiful photography. When deciding on a quilt, I wanted to choose one that I could bring in the influence of North Carolina.
North Carolina has a diversity in environments as it stretches from the mountains to the beach. This region also has rich history and traditional quilting background. As the Mesa Quilt is a modern version of a log cabin, I decided to do this pattern, which I thought was fitting with the traditional quilt making of NC.
For the color palette and the material, I was influenced by a Gees Bend Quilt. I used mostly recycled fabric, blue jeans, shirts, ties and a feed sack. This was a quick make and it was so much fun playing with the color palette and placement.
I interfaced many of the stretchy or less stable fabrics with interfacing to make them easier to sew. I have a quilting plan for this quilt already, using a mix of grid lines, walking foot shapes within sections, and straight lines.
I really enjoyed this quilt top finish and hope to make more of the projects including some of the amazing triangle based quilts. If you want to see more, please check out the other projects that are on the blog hop:
- March 8th Mathew Boudreaux of Mister Domestic
- March 9th Rebecca Bryan of Bryan House Quilts
- March 10th Suzy Williams of Suzy Quilts
- March 11th Hillary Goodwin of Entropy Always Wins
- March 12th Michelle Wilkie of Factotum of Arts
- March 13th Christopher Thompson of The Tattooed Quilter
- March 14th Nicole Daksiewicz of Modern Handcraft
- March 15th Sarah Thomas of Sariditty
- March 16th Karen Lewis of Karen Lewis Textiles
Last but not least, you too have a chance to get your hands on a copy of this book. To be in with a chance:
- Enter follow me (@ml_wilkie) and @initialkstudio on Instagram
- Leave a comment below.
- For an extra chance, leave a comment on the Instagram post (@ml_wilkie)
I will randomly choose a winner at 8pm EST tomorrow. If you are not selected, there is another chance for you….Kristi also has a Grand Prize Giveaway that will be happening at the end of the blog hop. Sign-up for her newsletter and you’ll have a chance to win:
- Signed copy of the Southwest Modern by Lucky Spool
- FQ bundle by Robert Kaufman
- FQ bundle by Me & You Fabrics
- Southwest Modern Thread Collection by Aurifil