Our weekly plan is our guide to our meals – we mix up the dinners sometime and eat what we are in the mood for. Easy is what was on my menu for tonight – so I opted to have the vegetable frittata early.
Our Vegetable Frittata ingredients varies based on what I have in the fridge and what needs to be used. Below is tonights ingredients but you could add spinach, mushrooms, bell peppers – really anything goes.
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 medium onion, diced (you could use leeks or spring onions)
1 garlic clove
1 small head of broccoli, chopped into small-ish pieces
1 medium-large zucchini, grated
1 tomato (I used a Roma tomato)
salt and pepper for seasoning
5 eggs, lightly beaten (You could use three eggs and 1/2 cup of egg whites)
2 tbsp italian cheese, grated (optional)
- Heat pan on medium heat. Place olive oil in the pan, then the onion and garlic. Cook onion until clear.
- Add Broccoli, Grated Zucchini and tomato to the pan – heat ingredients through. I add the broccoli first and then the other ingredients. Cool.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Add the vegetable mix to the eggs and lightly stir.
- Place the egg mixture back in the pan you were using to cook the vegetables. Add cheese to the top (optional, My husband wanted cheese I did not so I only added it to one 1/2). Cook mixture for 10-15 minutes on low heat.
- Once almost set, place pan into oven and broil for 3-5 minutes (keep an eye on it) remove once top has become firm.
NOTE: I put aluminum foil on the handle of my pan before putting in the oven as I do not think it is oven proof.
- Serve 1/4 of the frittata on a plate, it goes well with a spinach or garden salad.