Back in December, I started letting you all know about the my goals and timelines for my book. Well, let me tell you I am really impressed by those that can get a book together in 6-12 months. Let me say with full-time job commitments, family life, other quilt project deadlines and teaching events, giving the book the priority it needs has not been easy.
As I am writing this, I am telling myself constantly that it is ok. As my lovely editor says “Your book will be ready in August”. August when, who knows. Obviously not 2018. I hope it is definitely 2019.
The biggest discoveries I made:
- That to have a book the projects really need to be finished, before you can finalize content.
- Support from your circle is important. In June, I was able to share more of my ideas and direction with my inner circle helping on the book. It was good to get feedback and reinforce the direction is going the right way…..no matter how slowly.
- This touch point was fantastic, and I feel it helped clear my mind somewhat and refocus.
- Capturing good notes now as I develop each quilt, has been extremely important in telling the story for each project.
Where am I at, you might ask….
The Introduction – Notes and Outline are complete, photography concepts included.
Tools chapter – Notes and Outline are complete, photography concepts included.
Project 1 – Manicured Gardens quilt is complete, I’ll post about it shortly. Graphic Design/layout rough draft reviewed.
Project 2 – Group quilt binding is underway. This will be for a side bar; group activity segment.
Project 3 – Rotating Spokes Quilt is being quilted.
Project 4 – Art Deco Medallion quilt is being pieced. Friends are helping out with some of the hand work based blocks.
Project 5 – Broken Trellis Quilt is being pieced. Friends are helping out with some of the block piecing.
Project 6 – Coliseum quilt top is complete.
Project 7 – Cairns quilt design is complete. This was a major break through this past weekend and inspiration from Leon Polk Smith’s work helped this go in the right direction.
Project 8 – 12 are still percolating and evolving.
A list of photo shoot places is underway (though some maybe wishful thinking ;-)):
- Downtown Apex at the white brick wall
- Biltmore Estate Gardens (visiting in May next year)
- Yates Mill Historic Park
- Rome (Coliseum) / back up location would be the ruins in Beaufort, SC
- NC Old Barns both wood and corrugated iron backgrounds
- Lisbon, Portugal (just b/c its my favorite place)
To keep this project moving forward I need to set a couple of goals for the rest of the year. So, I want to do the following and have these goals done by the end of the Christmas break:
- Finish first draft for introduction chapter
- Finish first draft tools chapter
- Touch base with my editor and graphic designer.
- Complete Project 2 (1 3/4 sides of binding to go).
- Complete Project 3 (Quilting and binding)
- Complete current border for Project 4.
- Complete Project 6 (basting, quilting and binding)
- Project 7, trying out the design concepts on a test project.