Today’s Wednesday’s work in progress – this idea is so great as it keeps me on task so I can share the progress I am making on the various projects I have going.
This week I wanted to share where I am up to with the four seasons quilt. The front of this quilt has four panels representing an apple tree for each season. I now have Spring and Winter complete…Summer is underway with darker green leaves and apples. I have blogged previously about this quilt which you can find here: last update and the first post.
As mentioned previously my son and I make monster birthday cards together. This weekend we decided to take that one step further.
Based on monster drawings made by my son, I transformed one of those pictures into a stuffed monster toy. Some of the things my son designed/choose includes the 3 fingers, all his drawings at present have 3 fingers, his favorite color is orange, and he chose the buttons for the eyes.
Here is our first monster.
It was very cute – he slept on it as a cushion the first night and then he carried it in the car to track out camp – he is very proud of his monster 🙂
Some of the materials and steps I used to make these:
I drew free hand the shape of the body onto scrap-book card, from that original shape I got out a stomach shape….this way ensuring that it fits in the main body. I pinned the body shape onto dark blue corduroy, and on orange kona cotton for the back body and cut out the two shapes together.
The other two templates I used, were one for the legs and one for the arms. I pinned the leg and arm templates to patterned fabric which I folded into quarters so when I cut the shapes I would have 4 pieces (2 pieces in each direction).
I cut the mouth free-hand using the stomach fabric as a guide out of the same dark blue corduroy.
I cut the teeth out of white felt, using the opposing triangles so they can be top and bottom teeth.
I sewed the hands and feet inside out using a 1/4 inch seam. I then turned them in the right way, stuffed them with stuffing. I sewed the top of each limb close leaving about 1/4 inch so that I had room to sew the limb into the body.
The pieces for the body – the stomach, and the mouth I used zig-zag stitch to attach them, and the teeth I just used a normal walking stitch. I sewed on the buttons.
I cut a piece of straight 2 inch blue stripped cotton fabric – this is used for the width of the monster and joins the front and back together.
I pinned the front and middle edging together, with the arms and legs placed between the front and middle piece. The fabric was pinned together in reverse. I sewed a 1/4 inch seam. I ironed the seams.
Now for the back piece, I put all the limbs in the middle of the body, I pinned the back to the unsewn middle edge, so everything was inside out. I sewed a 1/4 inch seam leaving about 2-3 inches on the bottom open.
From the opening, I turned everything in the right way, and started stuffing the body. I hand stitched the opening closed to finish the monster.