I decided to catch up on some of the finishes over the last couple of years that I haven’t posted here on my blog. First up, is this group quilt that was made from remnant blocks of our 2017 Triangle MQG charity quilt (quilt top shown here)
I have been meaning for a long time to get this done and finally had the motivation to do so. First I had to decided on the the layout of these random squares. Thankful for my design wall, I was able to lay them out and see which solid background I was going to use. I decided on this cheery and bright yellow.
I did realize that I might need some more blocks in the bottom to make sure it was balanced throughout the quilt. To add the backing, I really did it in an improvisational manner, measuring between each block and adding as I went. There were a lot of partial seams. I really liked this less dense version of the floating squares and while I like the blue background of the first, this yellow makes me happy.
When complete, I still had some of the original fat quarters left over and some 108″ Carolyn Friedlander crosshatch fabric that I decided would be used for a pieced back. It was a little more work but was happy I was able to use what I had on hand. Also, when I took it to the long-armer, I found out I was a couple of inches short in length so I went home and added more.
I choose a simple wave quilt design which I think landed up being perfect for this quilt finish. I am really happy that this too was donated, and will find a home with a kid who really needs it.
Name : One of these things
Design: Group quilt, I asked for blocks of a certain size so they would fit together well.
Fabric: Kona Cotton (color palette from the MQG)
Backing: Kona Cotton + Carolyn Friedlander
Binding: Kona Cotton
Dimensions: 60 x76″
Quilted: Cary Quilting Company
Start date: 11 October 2021
Finish date: 16 January 2022
Stay tuned, I will post a finished quilt each week until I have caught up on posts.