I decided to catch up on some of the finishes over the last couple of years that I haven’t posted here on my blog. First up, is this group quilt that was made from remnant blocks of our 2017 Triangle MQG charity quilt (quilt top shown here)
I have been meaning for a long time to get this done and finally had the motivation to do so. First I had to decided on the the layout of these random squares. Thankful for my design wall, I was able to lay them out and see which solid background I was going to use. I decided on this cheery and bright yellow.
I did realize that I might need some more blocks in the bottom to make sure it was balanced throughout the quilt. To add the backing, I really did it in an improvisational manner, measuring between each block and adding as I went. There were a lot of partial seams. I really liked this less dense version of the floating squares and while I like the blue background of the first, this yellow makes me happy.
When complete, I still had some of the original fat quarters left over and some 108″ Carolyn Friedlander crosshatch fabric that I decided would be used for a pieced back. It was a little more work but was happy I was able to use what I had on hand. Also, when I took it to the long-armer, I found out I was a couple of inches short in length so I went home and added more.
I choose a simple wave quilt design which I think landed up being perfect for this quilt finish. I am really happy that this too was donated, and will find a home with a kid who really needs it.
Name : One of these things Design: Group quilt, I asked for blocks of a certain size so they would fit together well. Fabric: Kona Cotton (color palette from the MQG) Backing: Kona Cotton + Carolyn Friedlander Binding: Kona Cotton Dimensions: 60 x76″ Quilted: Cary Quilting Company Start date: 11 October 2021 Finish date: 16 January 2022
Stay tuned, I will post a finished quilt each week until I have caught up on posts.
Sarah from @nohatsquilts (blog) asked me if I could design a quilt using her soon to be released fabric line “Untamed” from Me+You fabrics. I jumped at the chance.
The design I had in mind was based on a doodle that I drew while on a conference call at work. thought it would great with her black and white prints…almost zebra like.
As I started to make the curved shapes they reminded me more of paperclips which was not the affect I was after. So, a change of plan was needed.
Instead of focusing on the black and white prints, Untamed came with a rainbow of colors, I decided that it would look good with another design I had finished up earlier in the year.
To get these graduating angles I used freezer paper templates, as I could cut out the appropriate size and reuse the template for the next row. It was fun seeing how the top progressed with the change in color. They are ordered from dark to light and separated by warm and cold colors.
It really reminded me of the tropics; a coconut tree or the outside of pineapple. The pineapple gave me an idea to use one f the Me+You pineapple prints they had for the back. I sent the quilt off to Cary Quilting company to do an all over (edge to edge design), choosing something that reminded me more of tropics, almost like a hibiscus flower.
The quilt is finished with quit binding as I could not find anything else I thought would work well with it. I am pleased with the cute finish and the colors really pop. It is 50 X 65″ finish, making it a perfect Childs lap quilt.
Over the last year, I have been feeling more of a need to give back to the community. I originally started by donating quilts to NC folks that were recovering from one of our hurricanes. I really enjoyed making these community quilts.
This year at QuiltCon I had picked up an amazing 100 x 5″ square charm pack with Alison Glass fabric. When COVID-19 stay at home orders were issued, I decided I needed some mindless sewing to do. For me that was making Half Square Triangles (HST) with the charm pack and a some Kona Snow (I has on bolt).
I had enough squares to make 2 quilts, with a couple of additions from stash. I chose two designs, a simple grid based combination of snow and a 2×2 block and a previous one I used for my succulent quilt (just larger blocks this time).
Both the quilts were:
Backed with Speckled print from Ruby Star Society, one with yellow and one with teal.
They were also both long-arm quilted by Cary Quilting Company with and edge to edge design.
Bound with an older Alison Glass print.
This is the final quilt for the Succulent remake which finishes at 76 x76″. The placement of the colors are to highlight the radiant movement of the triangles. Starts with Blacks, Greys, Low Volumes, Oranges, Blues & Teals, Yellow, Pinks & Purples and finishes with the greens. There are no repeat print in the same color way. I love how this quilt turned out.
The other quilt, the gridded layout, matched up the colors again but this time in sets of 4. My goal of the block placement was to make sure there were minimal repeats of colors in a row or a single column. This one finishes at 64″ x 72″.
These two quilts, I plan to try something different with. Sometime late July – early August I plan to Auction these quilts off and give the proceeds of the auction to @together.rising (also check out their web page for general information and also how to donate and support their COVID-19 Assistance Program). This charity I have been supporting almost a year and does amazing work in the community. There is one more quilt which I’ll post about over the weekend, Pineapple, which will also be in the auction.
Stay tuned, I will post Auction information on my instagram account @ml_wilkie.