I signed up way back in January for the Anna Maria Horner Mini Quilt Swap….and of course leaving it to the last-minute, I managed to finish and post on the last day (last Saturday). I had so much fun with this quilt.
I do not often use all very loud prints in my quilts and designs, but have admired folks that can pull it together. I knew that I wanted to try something similar with this swap and experiment.
I had created this design that I thought would be perfect for this challenge.
I loved my fabric selections, which I tried to split into warm and cool color palettes (two corners cooler and 2 warm). The inner square is based on a finished 1/2″ lines. I know kind of crazy.
I learned a couple of things that I would definitely recommend when I get around to writing this pattern, just shows the importance of pattern testing:
- I loved using a log-cabin like approach for the innermost squares
- The triangles that began the outer points of the center square, in the photo you will see I made those as actual triangles. Next time, I would leave them as squares and piece the larger out most triangles on and then trim to make sure you eliminate stretch or distortion.
I pieced the back from left over scraps from the front and used solids that represent the navy and crimson colored stripes. The quilting shows up way better on the back than the front as well as its less busy.
I am very happy, needless to say with the final swap item, even though one corner of my binding gave me so much trouble.
I plan to remake this pattern in solids and a much larger size. Linking up with Amanda-Jean over at Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish it up Friday.