Wow, I couldn’t believe it, this was my first recipe I have posted this year. Those that know my blog before Christmas, know I try to post at a recipe at least once a fortnight (every 2 weeks).
The weather is perfect for a casserole. One of my favorite casseroles, as a kid, was Devilled Sausages (using a sachet from Maggi, alas not available in the US). As far as I can tell this is a New Zealand/Australian recipe. It is full of flavor, great with rice and mashed potatoes, and the kids like it too. The recipe is below – enjoy!!
4-6 Sausages (Pork), sliced
1 tsp oil
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 medium onion, sliced thinly
2 medium granny smith apples, sliced thinly
1 can tomatoes
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1/4 cup strong brewed coffee
3-4 Tbsp Brown sugar
3-4 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F (180 C).
- Brown sausages in a fry pan until just cooked.
- In a casserole dish place all the ingredients including the sausages. Mix the ingredients. Taste the sauce at this point and decide on the sugar + vinegar amounts (It will taste like a BBQ sauce).
- Place in the oven, covered and cook for 30 mins.
- Serve with rice or mashed potatoes (this is my favorite)