So my bell peppers are now all finished. I had about 60 bell peppers (green and purple) to use. What can I do to store bell peppers??? I found a Sweet Bell Pepper Relish recipe which sounded interesting and went to work making it.
I plan on using the relish as Christmas gifts and also for ourselves as a condiment for meatloaf, pork and sandwiches.
Ingredients (taken from southern food about.com)
- 20 large bell peppers, red, yellow, orange, green, stems and seeds removed, about 6 pounds
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet onions
- 1/4 cup kosher salt or pickling salt
- 5 cups sugar
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon sweet Hungarian paprika, optional
In a saucepan, bring water to a simmer, turn to low and add the flat lids. Keep the lids in the hot water until ready to use.
When the pepper mixture is finished cooking, ladle into the hot drained jars. With a damp clean cloth, wipe the rims of the jars. Using tongs, lift lids from the water and let excess drip off of them; place on the clean jar rims. Screw on the jar rings firmly. Lift jars into the canner. Bring to a boil, cover, and boil gently for 10 minutes.
Makes about 5 to 6 pints.