I started this quilt, “It Takes A Village”, back in December. I think February, March and April, I listed it as my monthly goal for “A lovely year of finishes” but could not get it done. Well, I am ecstatic to say that have finally finished it!!
It Takes A Village, started out as one of my Quilt Design a Day designs. I actually kept pretty close to the original color scheme.
While pulling the fabric, I decided to switch out the lighter brown for a Cotton and Steel print. I thought it added some interest into the quilt, while the background color was similar to the design.
I tried a couple of new things with this quilt:
- I bought a new tool – a BLOC LOC Ruler for a triangle in square. I loved it! It made it much easier to trim up the triangles and it improved accuracy.
- I was inspired by Angela Walters book “Shape by Shape”, and decided to quilt each individual triangle, with one of three designs.
I used Aurifil for my quilting and it provided the most amazing texture to the quilt.
For the back, I wanted a patchwork brick feel. However, when finished, the back did not look right with lines moving horizontally, so I flipped it so the lines ran vertically. The final design decision I made, was to pull one of the colors out of the Cotton and Steel print and use it as a main color in the back and binding. It landed up being the blue, the pink just didn’t work for me.
Here are the final details for the quilt.
Name: It takes a Village
Dimensions: 48″ x 48″
Design: Michelle Wilkie
Fabric: Yarn-Dyed Essex Linen Flax; Kona Chocolate; Kona Silver; Kona Oyster; Cotton and Steel – Tack; Back + Binding: Also includes Kona Lagoon
Quilted: Walking foot. Triangles: Quilted using 3 designs; Negative Space: Circle represents a Town Circle while the lines are pathways through the village to add movement.
Thread – Aurifil (50 wt): White – 2021; Light Beige – 2310; Turquoise – 2810 (used for 3 triangles + binding).
Linking up with Amanda Jean over at Crazy Mom Quilts for next week’s Finish it up Friday. I will be writing it up as a pattern and hope to release it next month.
Linking up with Adrienne for 2015 Finish along, as this was one of my goals for Q2 to finish.