Tag Archives: a lovely year of finishes

Q3: Let’s have some fun

Experimenting = Fun

I want this quarter to be about experimenting and doing some fun projects. To assist with that I am going to choose a couple of projects from “Handmade Style” (Anna Graham – Noodlehead book). I am thinking about doing either the Zip Top Tote, Make-up Travel case, Floor Pouf, Carry-all Pincushion or the Basket. There are so many choices in this book!!

Something New, Something Old

I am, also, wanting to finish a couple of last years WiPs….

1. Pushme, Pullme Quilt, 2. Rangers Station, 3. Bjorn the bear, 4. Spoonflower Sampler Quilt.

And finish up a couple of outstanding patterns. The something new are these two new designs….
QDAD_01May2015 QDAD_27APR2015


Project Dates Current Status
 Altitudinal Zonation  25 June  COMPLETE
 Pushme, Pullme  15 July
(ship for quilting)
 TOP (last-minute changes – adding a strip to top),
 Spoonflower Sampler  31 July  TOP, BACK, BASTE, QUILT (UNDERWAY), BIND
 Idea, Design, Create  31 July   TOP, BACK, BIND (Shipped for quilting)
 Bjorn the Bear  31 August  TOP, BACK, BASTE, QUILT, BIND
 Rangers Station  30 September  TOP, BACK, BASTE, QUILT, BIND
 Coliseum (NEW)  30 September  TOP, BACK, BASTE, QUILT, BIND
 NY – High Line (NEW)  30 September  TOP, BACK, BASTE, QUILT, BIND

Spoonflower Sampler will be my Lovely Year of Finishes July Goal. All of these and the projects from Handmade Style are part of my Q3 goals for Finish Along 2015.

Monthly Commitments

Lastly, I want to finish my Do.Good. Stitches  and my Sisterhood of the Traveling Quilt blocks on time.

Project Dates Current Status
 Do.Good.Stitches  End of each Month  Late for June
Can-Can Girls
(Row for Sisterhood of Traveling Quilts)
Bi- Monthly project
2 of 6 blocks complete
Curved blocks
(Row for Sisterhood of Traveling Quilts)
Bi- Monthly project
(31 August)
Received but not started

It looks like a lot but most of the projects are almost done, they just need finishing.

Linking up to Finish Along 2015 & A Lovely Year of finishes (see buttons on the right).

It takes a Village – Finish

I started this quilt, “It Takes A Village”, back in December. I think February, March and April, I listed it as my monthly goal for “A lovely year of finishes” but could not get it done. Well, I am ecstatic to say that have finally finished it!!


It Takes A Village, started out as one of my Quilt Design a Day designs. I actually kept pretty close to the original color scheme.


While pulling the fabric, I decided to switch out the lighter brown for a Cotton and Steel print. I thought it added some interest into the quilt, while the background color was similar to the design.

I tried a couple of new things with this quilt:

  • I bought a new tool – a BLOC LOC Ruler for a triangle in square. I loved it! It made it much easier to trim up the triangles and it improved accuracy.
  • I was inspired by Angela Walters book “Shape by Shape”, and decided to quilt each individual triangle, with one of three designs.

I used Aurifil for my quilting and it provided the most amazing texture to the quilt.


For the back, I wanted a patchwork brick feel. However,  when finished, the back did not look right with lines moving horizontally, so I flipped it so the lines ran vertically. The final design decision I made, was to pull one of the colors out of the Cotton and Steel print and use it as a main color in the back and binding. It landed up being the blue, the pink just didn’t work for me.

Here are the final details for the quilt.


Name: It takes a Village
Dimensions: 48″ x 48″
Design: Michelle Wilkie

Yarn-Dyed Essex Linen Flax; Kona Chocolate; Kona Silver; Kona Oyster; Cotton and Steel – Tack; Back + Binding: Also includes Kona Lagoon

Quilted: Walking foot. Triangles: Quilted using 3 designs; Negative Space: Circle represents a Town Circle while the lines are pathways through the village to add movement.
Thread – Aurifil (50 wt): White – 2021; Light Beige – 2310; Turquoise – 2810 (used for 3 triangles + binding).

Linking up with Amanda Jean over at Crazy Mom Quilts for next week’s Finish it up Friday. I will be writing it up as a pattern and hope to release it next month.

Linking up with  Adrienne for 2015 Finish along, as this was one of my goals for Q2 to finish.

2015 FAL at On the Windy Side

Q2 Planning – Goals

I have been feeling a little sluggish this quarter – though I probably accomplished more than I think. To do a better job of tracking my plans/finishes, I am going to re-commit to ALOYF and 2015 Finish Along.

My ButtonFirst up this month’s ALOYF, is the same as last months, but I must have about 2 hours maximum left on this project. That’s right, “It takes a Village” will be finished this month. I might even get the pattern finished too!!

So overall what are my plans and goals for the whole quarter:

These projects are reflected in order in my table below.

Project Dates Current Status
 It takes a Village  April TOP, BACK, BASTE, QUILT, BIND
 Rangers Station
(my Marsala entry)
 Spoonflower Sampler Quilt  End of April TOP, BACK, BASTE, QUILT (UNDERWAY), BIND
 Design Evolution  End of April TOP, BACK, BASTE, QUILT, BIND
 Quilt Market Sampler  Early May TOP, BACK, BASTE, QUILT, BIND
 Bjorn the Bear  May TOP, BACK, BASTE, QUILT, BIND
 Altitudinal Zonation  Early June TOP, BACK, BASTE, QUILT, BIND
 Pushme, Pullme  June TOP (last-minute changes but almost complete),
BACK, BIND (Sending it out for quilting)
 Lines Drawn  June TOP, BACK, BASTE, QUILT, BIND

Let’s see what I complete – no pressure though….I will just get done what I get done!

2015 FAL at On the Windy Side