This quilt was designed to show my design process of making one block – Mind the Gap. The pattern, for this final block, is available on Cloud 9’s blog and in my quilt it is Block 9.
The design process shown in the quilt is:
- Block 1: decide on size, single square
- Block 2: Decided on an uneven split (ie. two parts).
- Block 3-5: Was deciding on how many white horizontal stripes to include in the block.
- Block 6: Decision to add the vertical stripe at just over the center of the block
- Block 7: I didn’t like the vertical bar going all the way to the top as it took away some of the flow of the block.
- Block 8: Now that I reduced from the top, I also did not like the vertical line going to the bottom so I pulled the end up about 1/2 “
- Block 9: Final design: Now that the vertical stripe had been reduced I though the horizontal white top and bottom stripes would be more balanced if they did not run edge to edge
The words “Idea Design Create” has always been my tagline. I loved adding the text as it also represents my design process. Perfect combination.
As part of my prize for the “Mind the Gap” Block was a fat quarter bundle of Cirrus Solids. I used those along with Sarah Watson’s Biology line for this quilt. The left overs and the Biology Panel print were used for the back for consistency.
I even included some of the selvadges on the back. The quilting was done by Sarah @ Crinkle Love (which I highly recommend!!). I finished it off with some mustard solid binding. I plan to hang it up in my sewing studio this weekend as constant inspiration.
Name: Idea, Design, Create
Design: Designed by me, Pattern of the last block can be found on Cloud 9’s blog.
Pattern: For the text, Paper Piecing Pattern by Diane Bohn @ From Blank Pages “My first alphabet #210”
Fabric: Cirrus Solids; Biology, Sarah Watson both by Cloud 9.
Dimensions: 36″ x 45″
Quilted: Sarah @ Crinkle Love
Linking up with Amanda Jean @ Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish it up Friday.
Linking up with Adrienne for 2015 Finish along, as this was one of my goals for Q2 to finish.