I decided that I would follow others in sharing my goals for 2013. I wanted to do this in two separate entries; one for my life style goals and one for my crafting/activities etc.
Reflecting back, 2012 was a difficult year. I was sick with a chronic sinus issue from February to December. It’s amazing the side effects of what you think is just a small thing – I had constant low-grade fevers, lack of energy and concentration, sleep issues, mood swings and side effects to medication. Finally, after 7 rounds of antibiotics, 2 doctors and a ENT specialist, surgery in September, we finally found it was all caused by a strep infection under/within a single papilloma granuloma in my left nostril. Apparently, it was an unusual situation; when it all cleared and healed I had the whole ENT nurse and doctor staff congratulate me on being better – nothing like being told you are unique ;-).
While recovering from surgery, in September, I started investigating things that I could try to change in my life style, to possibly help my situation. I found Dr. Fuhrman’s “Eat to Live” book fascinating. I did make some small life style changes at that point, not to lose weight – just to see if I can feel better and create a better immune system.
I would like to take that further for 2013. My goals for my life style challenge are:
- I am going to do a 6 week challenge using Dr Fuhrman moderate eat to live plan. At 6 weeks, I will assess and see if I make changes.
- Keep to our weekly budget for food. My husband and I take $200 out in cash every week, $70 is allocated to food, the rest to incidentals/general expenses (does not include the mortgage).
- Stay accountable by creating a new category in my blog for “Life style challenge”, and posting our meal plan for breakfast/dinners for each week, with recipes where possible. We typically plan our meals and go shopping on Saturday, that is when I will post.
- Exercise 3 times a week (minimum) – I enjoyed doing the Firm express early last year, which I think is where I will start. Right now I just have to start.
- Re-commit to reducing our TV watching to 8 hours a week.
- Go to bed before 11pm, to get 8 hours of sleep.
- As last year was our first year with a vegetable garden I want to continue that by planning and planting my summer vegetable garden.