In December, Spoonflower posted this great tutorial for a bolster cushion. I knew I had to make one for our new sofa. I ordered fabric and it arrived on Monday. I immediately cut out the fabric and started sewing last night….here’s my progress.
This weekend was very productive. I was able to make some progress on my must finish projects and finish off another pot holder (which I must so turned out well).
I started the framing of my four seasons quilt – I am going with low-tone yellows, creams and beige. I have now decided to use the jelly roll of Notting Hill design by Joel Dewberry for Free Spirit.
I tried out the “quilt-as-you-go method” described in this tutorial by Elizabeth Hartman on Oh, Fransson blog site by making this pot holder.I loved this method.Materials
I love the teapot fabric (“Tea Delights in Jam from Splendor 1920 by Bari J. for Art Gallery Fabrics”) and the natural look with natural Osnaburg fabric. I bought it in blue and the yellow mustard (“Tea Delights in Honey”). The dandelion fabric is from Spoonflower, and the rest of the fabrics used in the pot holder are from Joann’s.
Ultimately, I want to make a Amy Butler’s weekender bag like in Elizabeth Hartman’s Blog, as one of my new projects on my 2013 goals. My pattern arrived last week, so these pot holders are allowing me to test out the quilt-as-you-go method.
2013 Goals – Progress report
Blog a minimum of 3 times a week (Doing well for January)
Finish my four seasons quilt (In progress)
Try 12 new sewing/quilt or patchwork projects (1 down – Pot holders using quilt-as-you-go-method)
I have been so swamped this week at work, this has been the first day I was able to do anything on my many projects, I have in mind.
A while back, I discovered this cool hen fabric by maker_maker at spoonflower.com. I knew this fabric would work for a kitchen item, then I saw pot holder projects in so many books and online. That’s it….a pot holder would be perfect. Here is my first pot holder.
My husband’s and son’s stockings are now complete. I had previously posted the pattern I was using and the top part of my husband’s in this WiP post. I got lots of great comments about the non-traditional color selection; thank you to all those who commented. Here are the finished two stockings hanging above the fire-place.
Here’s the final top view of my husband’s stocking. Most of the fabrics were from Joann’s premium quilt fabric section, except the yellow chevron (zigzag) which is of course from the Riley Blake collection and the orange chevron no. 2 (zigzag) fabric which is from Misstina at Spoonflower.com
I used brown checked fabric for the backing:
The lining of the stocking was a brown and white polka dot fabric and to finish it off I used orange binding:
For this week’s work in progress, I wanted to share the quilt I am working on for our bedroom.
In the previous post, I was able to share the first 5 squares of 64 for this quilt, which was only doable as I discovered Spoonflower (found fabric prints that fitted with what we were looking for). Here’s a reminder:
Now the update, here are four more – I decided to introduce the a glimpse of green in amongst the see of orange and grey.