Fabric Stash + Basting

Over on IG (instagram) this week, I owned up to my fabric stash and my fabric addiction. It actually was a really good exercise for me. My husband and I always had an agreement that I could buy fabric just so long as it fitted in my sewing room…..well then my shelf broke and that is where this all starts 🙂

So, my guest room landed up being the temporary storage room when my shelf broke (fall off the wall). Finally, this weekend I decided it was time to organize the fabric that had landed up there and move it onto comic book boards. Folding underway….

IMG_2391

After around 3 1/2 sets of boards (each containing 100 boards) folding was complete. In this lot I have cotton and steel yardage (all of the prints), Katarina Roccella – Indelible, all of Alison Glass’ lines, Joel Dewberry – Bungalow, both of Francis Newcombe’s lines, Heather Ross….and more.

IMG_2392

So, that was my overflow room. I decided I would own this totally and also shared the fabric actually in my sewing room. The first side of my project table contains my basic stash….all prints organized by color [Blues | Teals/aquas | greens |reds/pinks |oranges |blacks/grays | multi-color | browns/yellows |Purples/low-volumes].

IMG_2394

The second side has been organized by designer and has my solid stash (which is mostly Kona). IMG_2395

Lastly, this is the messy part of my current storage that does need reorganizing (underway and hope to complete before the weekend). Down on the floor on the left, it starts with a bin/pail for all pre-cuts. On the book-case contains Project bins, Aurifil thread boxes, Linens/ Japanese prints, my fabric line from Spoonflower | more project bins,  quilting books |Flannel, Corduroy, Minky and Batting etc. On the far right side on the floor I have two more bins, 1 contains all the kid prints, the other fabrics that I use for bee blocks. IMG_2396

My goal for showing this is threefold;

• is to really admit what I have,
  • and then take the steps to use and reduce the stash,
  • reorganize and move my overflow stash back into my sewing room.

From a project standpoint…..I finally got around to basting two of my quilting projects. I was at Spoonflower, last night, and got enough space to baste this one. Yay, onto quilting.

PhasedCircles_Basting

Linking up with Lee over at Freshly Pieced for WiP Wednesday (button on the right).

Advertisements

26 thoughts on “Fabric Stash + Basting

1. Judy

Well, Michelle, admitting is the first step! LOL 🙂 That is a pretty impressive stash! Very neatly organized too. I’m going to spend some time in Sept. doing the same thing. . . I don’t have as much admitting to do but I do have some pretty serious organizing that needs to happen 😉

I just love this quilt top, I know I’ve said that before, but I really do! Cannot wait to see it all quilted up! It’s going to be fabulous!

2. Renee

I’m feeling overwhelmed with my stash…I buy way more than I use, especially as a slow quilter. I really want to get rid of the stuff I’m sure I’ll never use, or lower quality than I like to use now. Look forward to seeing how you quilt it!

3. quiltiferous

Always more stash than time, isn’t there? It looks like you’re getting yours under control, though, one step at a time! This is a good reminder for me to use some things before I buy more fabric. It’s just so easy online! Good luck to you!

4. Laurie

I really love your quilt! I also admire your candor regarding your stash- I know I tend to buy fabric to make myself better but it never is enough! I have been trying to purge a lot this year but it hardly has made a dent.

5. katechiconi

That’s an impressive fabric problem you have there…. Lots of great fabrics, but isn’t the point of the fabrics to be in quilts…? Maybe a monthly challenge to incorporate a certain amount of stash fabric into a quilt? It’s hard, isn’t it, when you fall in love with a designer or range and you just want it all. Trouble is, they keep producing new ones!

6. Valerie

Love your quilt! Naw, that’s not much fabric! And it’s great, modern stuff. I’m trying to turn mine over so I can actually buy something designed in this century. My goal (3rd year, other two successful) is a net use of 100 yards this year. Join us over at Sunday Stash Report at Patchwork Times.

7. Pingback: Sunday Stash: Sewing Room Update | Factotum of Arts