Tag Archives: Finish it up Friday

Crazy June

Crazy stuff has been happening here over the last month….and that does not include the lightning hit our neighbors tree just took.

I found out it’s actually possible for me to finish 3 quilts (two 60 x 60″, one 48 x 48″) and a quilt top + back (which is being sent of for quilting) all in 1 month. “It takes a village” was the only finish I had planned for, as part of Finish – Along 2015, this quarter.
ItTakesAVillage_Front

The other two finishes were secret projects but here is a sneak peek, as both will be released this month with patterns.
IMG_4649

I also, finally got around to doing my Anna Maria Horner Mini Quilt for the swap, last night. I decided to use one of my original design from a Quilt Design a Day.
QDAD_Slide_13Dec

That became this 24″ square quilt top, where the stripes are 1/2″ pieced. I love how all the busy prints work so well together.
AMHminiquiltswap_top_finish

I learned a lot as I was making the mini, that I can apply into making a larger version and into writing up the instructions.

Linking up with Amanda Jean @ Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish it up Friday and with Adrianne @ On the Windy Side.

2015 FAL at On the Windy Side

It takes a Village – Finish

I started this quilt, “It Takes A Village”, back in December. I think February, March and April, I listed it as my monthly goal for “A lovely year of finishes” but could not get it done. Well, I am ecstatic to say that have finally finished it!!

ItTakesAVillage_Front

It Takes A Village, started out as one of my Quilt Design a Day designs. I actually kept pretty close to the original color scheme.

QDAD_FlyingGeeseBrownLinen_3August2014

While pulling the fabric, I decided to switch out the lighter brown for a Cotton and Steel print. I thought it added some interest into the quilt, while the background color was similar to the design.

I tried a couple of new things with this quilt:

  • I bought a new tool – a BLOC LOC Ruler for a triangle in square. I loved it! It made it much easier to trim up the triangles and it improved accuracy.
  • I was inspired by Angela Walters book “Shape by Shape”, and decided to quilt each individual triangle, with one of three designs.

I used Aurifil for my quilting and it provided the most amazing texture to the quilt.

ItTakesAVillage_Quilting

For the back, I wanted a patchwork brick feel. However,  when finished, the back did not look right with lines moving horizontally, so I flipped it so the lines ran vertically. The final design decision I made, was to pull one of the colors out of the Cotton and Steel print and use it as a main color in the back and binding. It landed up being the blue, the pink just didn’t work for me.
ItTakesAVillage_Back

Here are the final details for the quilt.

Details

Name: It takes a Village
Dimensions: 48″ x 48″
Design: Michelle Wilkie

Fabric:
Yarn-Dyed Essex Linen Flax; Kona Chocolate; Kona Silver; Kona Oyster; Cotton and Steel – Tack; Back + Binding: Also includes Kona Lagoon

Quilted: Walking foot. Triangles: Quilted using 3 designs; Negative Space: Circle represents a Town Circle while the lines are pathways through the village to add movement.
Thread – Aurifil (50 wt): White – 2021; Light Beige – 2310; Turquoise – 2810 (used for 3 triangles + binding).

Linking up with Amanda Jean over at Crazy Mom Quilts for next week’s Finish it up Friday. I will be writing it up as a pattern and hope to release it next month.

Linking up with  Adrienne for 2015 Finish along, as this was one of my goals for Q2 to finish.

2015 FAL at On the Windy Side

Phased Circles, deadlines met!!

PhasedCirclesComplete

It’s finished and entered into QuiltCon. This was an epic quilting journey over the last week. Total hours of quilting = ~77 hours.

I had a couple of moments there, where I did not think I would make it, or I wasn’t sure I made the right quilting choice for the outer border. I am so thankful for a couple of friends  was texting with, and the IG community, without the support this definitely would not have been finished on time.

This is now my favorite quilt I have made, and over the next couple of days I want to share with you a couple of posts.  One on the design choices I made and why and the other on the matching binding.

In the meantime, here are some of my IG photos of my week’s progress.mosaic28491bd5b0ae3086c18072c732c823281fe8ba171. Block 1 front finished Dec 16th, 2. Block 1 back,  3.  Block 2 back, 4. Tuesday: Block 2 front, 5. Wednesday: Blocks 2&3, 6. Thursday: Blocks 1-4, 7. Friday: Blocks 1-5, 7. Saturday: Blocks 1-6 and 1/2 outer border quilted, 8. Sunday: All done without the binding

 Details

Name: Phased Circles
Dimensions: ~ 56″ x 60″
Design: Michelle Wilkie (inspired by a doodle)
Quilted: Walking foot

Blocks: Matchstick quilting (vertical and horizontal), Crosshatch quilting
Border: 1″ Straight Line quilting
Thread – Aurifil: A fantastic range of cottons that allowed me to match my fabrics perfectly, and made such a difference in textures. Blue block: 6738, 2725; Orange Block: 1133; Green Block: 2835, 5015; Pink Block: 1100, 2600; Jade: 2810, 5007; Gold: 5022, 2110 (not all colors shown in the picture below).
Aurifil_PhasedCircles

Fabric for Front: Carolyn Friedlander Architextures & Botanics, Kona Curry, Valentine, Breakers, Torch, Wasabi, Prussian, White
Backing: Black, White and Grey Carolyn Friedlander Architextures & Botanics, Kona White and Black
Binding: Matching Binding technique (matching prints/solids)

Linking up for A lovely year of finishes and with Amanda Jean’s (@crazymomquilts)  for Finish it up Friday. Also this was one of my Q4 Finish Along 2014 goals.

Finish Along 2014