I decided to give my This way, That way quilt design a go today. I have to say I love the block. I still need to work on the dimensions, so that the measurements are not 5/8 or 7/8 etc. Personally, I prefer to work in 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4…don’t you??
After finishing the first block and liking how it looked (coming up), I decided to pull my blue stash out and come up with 38 more blues to finish out this quilt. Yes, I have all these in my stash. In the photo each two groupings, a dark and light blue, will represent a block.
Below are a few photos, on the process I took to make the first block…trying out the design to see if I could get it to work, you never know right 😉
- I cut all the pieces. Some of the pieces for the center I made longer to account for error.
- Laid out the center of the block ready for sewing.
- Decided to try and just sew each half with no guidance. I might change the center of the block to be a paper-piece pattern, or at least add some steps for measuring and lining up the cross.
- Center is complete, laid out border 1.
- Border 1 complete, laid out border 2.
- Block is complete and will be a 14″ block (14.5″ x 14.5″ for seam allowance).
If you remember the design (you can find here), I have an alternate block that switches the dark and light blues around and border is white instead of grey. Here are the two finished color ways of the block.
I am liking it so far, 1/2 a row finished 🙂 only 5 1/2 more to go. If you are interested in testing the block or the quilt pattern out for me, once I have the pattern, written up let me know.
The fabric used for these two blocks are:
Light Blue: Architextures – Blue Print in Blue, Carolyn Friedlander, Robert Kaufman Fabrics
Dark Blue: Maritime Modern – Maritime Moby Blue, Marin Sutton and Riley Blake Designs
Outer border: Ash Grey Kona
Light Blue: Technicolor – Braid in Navy by Emily Herrick, Michael Miller Fabric
Dark Blue: Architextures – Scribble Notes Navy, Carolyn Friedlander, Robert Kaufman Fabrics
Outer border: Kona White
Linking up to “A year of lovely finishes” and “Sunday Stash”.