You know how you meet people and instantaneously you have that connection. You know they are a best-ie (translation: best friend) immediately. I was so surprised to have the same experiences in the Social Media world. Ashley @ Wasn’t Quilt in a Day, is one such connection.
She has a love…obsession (??) for Denyse Schmidt’s Chicopee line and she works so hard in her teaching job that over the winter break I decided I wanted to do something special for her. Low and behold, she mentioned how much she had loved my Sea Spray pillow. Done, that will be what I make using her favorite Chicopee.
I have been posting progress on a pillow on IG (Instagram) for a while now, without her knowing, to see how she responds to the various choices. Here is the final product – which I think turned out great!
A close-up of the quilting, which is just straight line quilting at ~1/8 inch about on the low volume prints.
I decided to use a new technique, to me, for the zipper. I typically use an invisible zipper but I do not have the right foot yet for my new machine. As such I used a standard zipper but I wanted to still have it hidden. I found this fantastic tutorial by S.O.T.A.K handmade for making such a closure.
So the details…
Fabric: Denyse Schmidt Chicopee + Essex Linen Med. Aqua
Size: 20″ x 20″
Design: Crystallized from the book Pillow Pop
Linking up with Amanda Jean @ Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish it up Friday.
A couple of months ago I mentioned I was going to start using instagram. Verdict in….I love it. Why do I love it??
- The instant feedback you get from the community
- Takes way less time than blogging as a photo and short comment is all that is needed.
- I love the fact you share more of your lives with people – it’s not all quilty things (the community accepts it on instagram more than in a blog). It seems more liberating to me, at least.
- I love how you can actually see how your blocks may look in a repetitive pattern (once people like your photo – that small image repeats…I love that look).
- Fabric destash (yes, you can purchase fabric on instgram…I had been missing out on that opportunity)
- My favorite thing though, is joining in Friday Night Sew Along (thank you Miss Sarah!! for starting that trend) #Fridaynightsewalong
This is what I shared this week and most of it was through #fridaynightsewalong.
- Scrap-bee-licious April Blocks all pieced and ready for sewing
- Aerial Quilt top finish from yesterday’s post. #fridaynightsewalong
- Tapa Star Striped Pillow top complete (finally…almost done). #fridaynightsewalong
- Also, I finally made progress on the DS Chicopee Pillow – all pieces in each rows are sewn. #fridaynightsewalong
That’s my instagram (ml_wilkie) time this week and #fridaynightsewalong. If you are not using Instagram yet – I think you will love it.