You know how you meet people and instantaneously you have that connection. You know they are a best-ie (translation: best friend) immediately. I was so surprised to have the same experiences in the Social Media world. Ashley @ Wasn’t Quilt in a Day, is one such connection.
She has a love…obsession (??) for Denyse Schmidt’s Chicopee line and she works so hard in her teaching job that over the winter break I decided I wanted to do something special for her. Low and behold, she mentioned how much she had loved my Sea Spray pillow. Done, that will be what I make using her favorite Chicopee.
I have been posting progress on a pillow on IG (Instagram) for a while now, without her knowing, to see how she responds to the various choices. Here is the final product – which I think turned out great!
A close-up of the quilting, which is just straight line quilting at ~1/8 inch about on the low volume prints.
I decided to use a new technique, to me, for the zipper. I typically use an invisible zipper but I do not have the right foot yet for my new machine. As such I used a standard zipper but I wanted to still have it hidden. I found this fantastic tutorial by S.O.T.A.K handmade for making such a closure.
So the details… Fabric: Denyse Schmidt Chicopee + Essex Linen Med. Aqua Size: 20″ x 20″ Design: Crystallized from the book Pillow Pop
“Sea spray is a spray of seawater that forms when ocean waves crash, or high winds are blowing.” (from wikipedia).
That, I think, perfectly describes this finished HST pillow. It was a dash to the finish, for sure, but I managed to finish my pillow that I am swapping this weekend. I based this pillow off “Crystallized” by Angela Mitchell’s pattern in the Pillow Pop book (page 82). Instead of using the warm and cool color combinations, I swapped the warm for low-volume prints and made the cool color rings a single color within a the ring (not mixed).
I quilted irregular lines in the low volume portion of the pillow, which you can see more clearly in this close-up.
The back of the pillow I kept simple with using a single Kona Blue fabric. The opening I used an invisible zipper through the middle of the pillow (as I had done in my other two cushions blogged here).
I am including a picture of the pillow top backing, as you can really see the quilting. The top, I used organic cotton batting with muslin as the backing which is what you see here.
So I love the finish, the hubby wanted to keep it…..I hope my swap partner likes it!!
I blogged previously, showing photos of the making of the pillow – those can be found here and here. I shared the above photos on the “Pillow Pop” flickr group – in case you are interested in joining.
I am linking up with AmandaJean @ CrazyMomQuilts for Finish it up Friday.