I was so thrilled when I found out I could participate in the “For the boys” Blog hop.
I loved making things for my 6-year-old son. It is so exciting when I see him loving the things I made for him….its the best reward I can receive. I hope these inspire some ideas for the boy/s in your life. These are some of the things you can find in my son’s bedroom.
Dr. Seuss growth chart:
Painted square wall:
Wonky Universe Pillow:
Chair Bags for Storage:
Finally, how about an idea for Christmas…Christmas stockings for the boys.
Go and take a look at the other “For the Boys” blog posts for November 13th
I know I am leaving this to the last-minute to join the Bloggers Quilt Festival….I couldn’t decide what to choose, or if I was going to link-up anything. Needless to say, I have decided to enter. I loved this particular project, as it was for my son. He uses it every night and loves it. Is that not the best reward??
I am entering his pillow “Wonky Universe” for the mini quilt section link-up. It is made mostly from Lizzie House Constellations mini charms. I added a wonky star in one corner to add a visual focus.
I loved the wonkiness of the pillow in the mismatched squares and in the star. I also enjoyed the multi-colored quilting in this cushion. I used both yellow and navy thread. Here is a close-up.
When Jennifer posted on her blog about the modern mini quilt challenge, I was so excited and couldn’t wait to join in in the challenge. I love small projects – what a perfect challenge.
Now to decide what to enter. I am so torn between my Sea Spray Pillow and the Wonky Universe Pillow, pictured below, respectively. I loved both but for different reasons, and they both had new techniques/skills I learned, each were a special gift and had a special meaning. Hmmm…. choices, choices.
or Wonky Universe…
Ok…now comes the decision….I think I am going to choose the…
“Sea Spray” Pillow.
This pillow was a gift for our pillow swap last Sunday. It was based on the “Crystallized” pattern in the book Pillow Pop. This was a challenge for me as it was the first time I have used HST’s, so I was so nervous about cutting them perfectly and matching them up. I used some techniques that Adrianne @ On The Windy Side had shared with me, to get pieces to be more accurate…specifically I took the time to cut them carefully and measure a few times, used my 1/4 inch foot and pinned each seam. I couldn’t have asked for a better finish !!!
I thought I would share some of the steps I took:
Cut out 100 x 3 ” squares, 50 low volume and 50 blue, green or aqua.
Choose one light square and one dark square. I used a 1/4 ” seam ruler – which I used to line up the middle along the diagonal and marked a 1/4 ” on each side. I then sewed on each of these two lines.
Cut down the middle of these squares, between the seams. Press the seams, I like to press each seam to the side. Trim the corners. The squares should measure 2 1/2″.
Use a design board to lay out your design.
Start at the top row and sew each square together using a 1/4 ” seam. This is where my new 1/4 ” foot came in handy. Keep sewing each row until finished. Press the seams but each row I pressed the seams in opposite directions in preparation to matching up the rows.
Once you have the each row finished and pressed, take the first two rows and I pin each of the seams together so the seams match. I start from the middle and make my way out to the edges. Once pinned, sew a 1/4 inch seam. Repeat by adding a row to the block at a time. Press after each row addition.
Once the top is complete, I used cotton batting and a piece of muslin (each about 21″ x 21″) to produce my sandwich I was quilting. I decided I would sew irregular distanced lines (about 1/4 inch apart) around the low-volume areas. Here is a view of the back of my quilted front, after pressing. Close up of the quilting on the front:
Once you have finished the front, its time for the back. I love invisible zippers sewed in the middle of the back. I used two pieces of blue Kona fabric that is 21″ x 11″, and sewed each piece of fabric to the invisible zipper following the instructions using my invisible zipper foot.
Once I have the zipper in, I trim all the edges to 20.5 ” x 20.5″ pillow. I pin the right sides together with the zipper being open to the middle. I then sewed a 1/4 ” seam along all the edges and double seam across the zipper one each side. That’s it – turn the pillow in the right way and iron.
1. Hexagon Coffee cup sleeve made from left over mini charms
2. Hexagon Coffee cup sleeve made from left over Sew Stitchy by Aneela Hoey for Moda
3. Chair Bag for my Etsy store
4. Pencil-case project made by me from Patchwork, please book
5. Pin Cushion project made by me from Patchwork, please book
6. Market Tote project made by me from Patchwork, please book and used in our tote swap
7. Madrona Road Challenge blocks for a mini quilt
8. Wonky Universe Pillow for my son
9. First postage stamp Pillow and first FMQ project.
Above is my collage of my finished works for April. I am pretty pleased with what was accomplished. I got a little distracted with Pillows and projects from Patchwork Please but I had had so much fun which is what it is all about. Great news this week, I also got an order for 5 chair bags….so I am off to work on those 🙂
Here were my goals and where they landed up. My extra projects pictured above were the bag (used for a guild swap), pencil-case and the two cushions that have been my focus this week.