Tag Archives: dr fuhrman

Goals for 2013: life style challenge

I decided that I would follow others in sharing my goals for 2013. I wanted to do this in two separate entries; one for my life style goals and one for my crafting/activities etc.

Reflecting back, 2012 was a difficult year. I was sick with a chronic sinus issue from February to December. It’s amazing the side effects of what you think is just a small thing – I had constant low-grade fevers, lack of energy and concentration, sleep issues, mood swings and side effects to medication. Finally, after 7 rounds of antibiotics, 2 doctors and a ENT specialist, surgery in September, we finally found it was all caused by a strep infection under/within a single papilloma granuloma in my left nostril. Apparently, it was an unusual situation; when it all cleared and healed I had the whole ENT nurse and doctor staff congratulate me on being better – nothing like being told you are unique ;-).

While recovering from surgery, in September, I started investigating things that I could try to change in my life style, to possibly help my situation. I found Dr. Fuhrman’s “Eat to Live” book fascinating. I did make some small life style changes at that point, not to lose weight – just to see if I can feel better and create a better immune system.

I would like to take that further for 2013. My goals for my life style challenge are:

  • I am going to do a 6 week challenge using Dr Fuhrman moderate eat to live plan. At 6 weeks, I will assess and see if I make changes.
  • Keep to our weekly budget for food. My husband and I take $200 out in cash every week, $70 is allocated to food, the rest to incidentals/general expenses (does not include the mortgage).
  • Stay accountable by creating a new category in my blog for “Life style challenge”, and posting our meal plan for breakfast/dinners for each week, with recipes where possible. We typically plan our meals and go shopping on Saturday, that is when I will post.
  • Exercise 3 times a week (minimum) – I enjoyed doing the Firm express early last year, which I think is where I will start. Right now I just have to start.
  • Re-commit to reducing our TV watching to 8 hours a week.
  • Go to bed before 11pm, to get 8 hours of sleep.
  • As last year was our first year with a vegetable garden I want to continue that by planning and planting my summer vegetable garden.

Tasty Bean Salad

I am at home again today, sick – could have strep throat….and feeling pretty miserable. I wanted to share what I am doing to try to improve my health, since I have been sick off and on since February and now on my 6th course of antibiotics.

So as my health has been pretty awful this year, I have decided to try “Eat to Live” plan by Dr. Fuhrman.  The idea is to concentrate on eating 90% nutrient-dense foods – like veggies, fruits, seeds and nuts, beans and whole grains. For the remaining 10%, you can have healthy oils, meat and dairy. My goal is to build my body’s own immune system and provide the right food and nutrients to my body, it’s not about weight for me.

I have been pleasantly surprised, it has not been that difficult to follow the plan including a breakfast, lunch and dinner. I am one and half weeks.

Here’s one of the recipes I use for lunch.

Ingredients

1 can cannelloni beans (washed)
1 can black beans (washed)
1 can corn (washed)
1 small onion
1 small red pepper
1 small green pepper
1 garlic clove
1/2 tsp cumin
1 Tbsp fresh basil
1 Tbsp fresh parsley
1 Tbsp fresh chives
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp whole grain mustard
2 Tbsp white wine vinegar

Wash the beans and corn and place in a large bowl. Add diced peppers, diced onion and crushed garlic to the bowl. In a salad dressing container mix the remaining ingredients – shake to mix. Pour over the beans mixture, and stir to cover.

Serve as a side salad or I used a 1/2 whole wheat pita and made a sandwich. This salad stores well in the fridge. also think about adding fresh dices tomatoes or diced celery to add more flavors/tastes.

Here’s my lunch – the final product 🙂