I am always in need of storage, especially in my son’s playroom. My mum used to make us chair bags to take to school each year and I loved them. So, one of my first sewing projects was a set of chair bags for my son. We use them to help store his stencils and coloring books. They are working out great.
I now make a lot of them for other people, mostly friends as gifts. Here is my new one, I love the flower print that I got of spoonflower.com. I hope the little girl likes it.
Main Pocket: Custom Flower print designed by Tamara Serrao and available from Spoonflower.com (printed on Kona Cotton). It is lined with limeade corduroy. Middle Pocket: Is divided into two pockets, and made with Lori Whitlock, Simply Sweet, Sweet ZigZag quilting fabric Back: is made with Robert Kaufman Limeade corduroy.
I managed to get a couple of small projects done this weekend in preparation for our modern quilt guild monthly meeting – nothing like having an incentive :-). I showed my “four seasons in one day” quilt for the first time at our meeting. It was funny how nervous I was, showing my quilt and other projects. I present on a daily basis and usually have no qualms…..but not this time – it was like the first time you ever present to a “large” audience. I got great feedback for my quilt though, its nice getting that validation.
The small projects I was able to complete include:
The second pot holder for our kitchen. This has been a fun project trying out different techniques and using new materials, for example, quilt as you go technique and using the insul-bright material.
A name tag for quilt guild meeting. This was the first time I have used hexagons which I can see can be addictive. I was able to sit down in front of the tv and hand-sew this together in an hour or so. I used leftovers scraps for the front and backed the name tag with felt, using fusible web for the adhesive (first time using fusible web as well), and then quilted on my sewing machine. For the name part, I followed the same process I use for my homemade labels. I thought it turned out cute 🙂
I fixed my son’s monster I had made, some stitching had come loose and needed a quick fix (it only took me 4-6 weeks to get around to doing it)
Finally, quilted the first straight line for the “four seasons in one day quilt”.
I am hoping to start a couple of my other March goals this week – I think I am going to try the kiwi paper piecing from Tartankiwi and also cut the fabric for the triple zipper pouch.
This weekend has been really productive!!!, and it means that I am closer to my February Goals. If you remember, I linked up with A lovely year of finishes and The Girl who Quilts (and I won the give-away, which is so cool!!!)
As mentioned on Friday 1st, complete top and back of my “Four Seasons in one day” (named after a crowded house song) I have now almost completed the top – I worked out a way to make the border in more of a block instead of a string which gave me more manageable pieces to work with. I also worked out the corner pieces as well 🙂
Finish 4 sets of chair bags. I have cut out 2 sets of chair bags but have not started sewing yet.
Finish 4 sets of pot holders. I have 3 sets of pot holders completed…our kitchen is a light green – these are the ones I made for use in our kitchen.
Cut out fabric for my son’s quilt. Not started yet
Triple zip pouch. Fabric and other materials selected.
Try out a paper piecing block. Not started yet but I have something in mind.
More general goals
Continue with Life Style Challenge. See yesterday’s update here.
Post 3 times a week min. Check – doing well. I also joined Pinterest, I was struggling with just using bookmarks to find things I liked in the www. Let me know if you have a site or which sites you would recommend I follow.